Principle Software Development Architect – Backend Content and Services
Location: Bellevue, WA
Experience: 5+ years
Employment Status: Full-Time (FTE)
Principle Software Development Architect –Content and Services Backend
We are actively recruiting a principle software development architect to work on a conversational speech and natural language services content and services backend in the cloud, for our client company, headquartered in Bellevue, WA.
As their exclusive recruiting partner, this highly visible role is in our client company’s advanced engineering group. It’s a growing team that is working in startup mode (within a successful high tech company), on a next generation product using: Java, Guava, Jackson, Netty, and MongoDB on CentOS 6.3. This is the team for you, if you're looking for a career where you'll be able to build, deliver, and impress!
In this dynamic role, you look at problems holistically, and thrive on the intricate complexity of designing feedback loops and ecosystems. You want to work on projects where you are implementing solutions to real problems that require creative solutions and deep understanding of the problem space. You challenge yourself and others to constantly come up with better solutions. This highly visible role requires frequent communication with senior leadership in order to help shape and deliver on the product roadmap, and requires you to nimbly switch between strategic and tactical initiatives to achieve technical, business, and customer experience goals. You'll be given an opportunity to own and drive initiatives through the entire software stack -- from customer facing features, to algorithmic innovation, all the way down to the datasets that the back-end services consume.
Our client company’s cloud services target device manufacturers who wish to offer a conversational speech experience differentiated from Apple Siri and Google Now. Premiere Service: Personal Assistant. Their software/services are available on 300,000 Lexus cars worldwide in model year 2012; will be available on 2,000,000 Lexus/Toyota cars in model year 2013. Chrysler, Intel and Renault will each ship products with their software/services next year. In addition, they have products delivered and in the market with Tom Tom and Magellan.
ROLE: You will design the architecture by which content and services are integrated to the platform. This includes developing tools to be used by the Apps and Services teams. This position involves regular communication with senior management on status, risks and change control. Cross-team coordination, project management and executive presentation skills are essential.
You will collaborate with the Team Managers and CTO on the design. An idea of the work week: 2 hours per day communicating the architecture, working through issues with other devs, and reviewing code. The rest of the time, writing code, the ultimate expression of design. About a 20/80 ratio. At the beginning of a milestone--first week of four--the ratio may flip.
- Design and architect, possibly from scratch, a platform to deliver services and content.
- Schedule periodic planning, progress, and close out meetings with all stakeholders.
- Manage blocking issues, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and meet committed delivery timelines.
- Execution against project plans and delivery commitments
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to executive management
- 5+years development experience in JAVA
- 5+ years developing server or webservices based applications
- Excellent object oriented design and software development skills
- Independently able to design and develop software components
- Knowledge and expertise in server side programming and technologies
- Expert knowledge of Linux.
- Good analytical and communication skills
- Full life cycle enterprise product development experience
- Be proficient in internet infrastructure technology
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit and a strong results orientation
- Experience working with server, cloud and internet technologies
- Ability to think both strategically and tactically
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects a plus
- Proven track record of taking ownership and driving results
- Strong track record of shaping business strategy for technical products or services
- Experience with voice applications a plus
- Ability to negotiate content agreements with 3rd parties a plus
- Degree: BS/CS or equivalent is required, MS/CS is preferable
Follow us on TWITTER: @CompellaSearch